Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
j***@googlemail.com
2008-02-14 01:16:14 UTC
Hi all,

Ultimately, I want to call an unmanaged C++ COM object from .Net/CLR
C# but I'm not getting that far.

My test rig has a C++ project as an MFC ActiveX Control, and a
secondary project which tries to consume that control. The primary
(i.e. control) project is 100% non-visual, and has been built with the
expected (!) settings to allow this.
Problem is that even when I add a basic method to the ActiveX control
(using the class / wizard), then referencing it from the other
project, I always get a

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF
(E_UNEXPECTED))

when calling any method.

Other postings suggest that this is because I'm trying to instantiate
a non-visual control but I can't find much to suggest how I create and
control a non-visual COM component from another app.
Back to on-topic, my intention is to have an old-fashioned C++ app do
all the work, while controlled by a managed C# app.

All suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Scott.
Fad
2009-12-16 13:25:46 UTC
.

j.scott.lecki wrote:

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
15-Feb-08

Hi all

Ultimately, I want to call an unmanaged C++ COM object from .Net/CL
C# but I'm not getting that far

My test rig has a C++ project as an MFC ActiveX Control, and
secondary project which tries to consume that control. The primar
(i.e. control) project is 100% non-visual, and has been built with th
expected (!) settings to allow this
Problem is that even when I add a basic method to the ActiveX contro
(using the class / wizard), then referencing it from the othe
project, I always get

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFF
(E_UNEXPECTED)

when calling any method

Other postings suggest that this is because I'm trying to instantiat
a non-visual control but I can't find much to suggest how I create an
control a non-visual COM component from another app
Back to on-topic, my intention is to have an old-fashioned C++ app d
all the work, while controlled by a managed C# app

All suggestions appreciated
Cheer
Scott.

On Friday, February 15, 2008 1:27 AM
j.scott.lecki wrote:

[...]

Note to Active Forum Posters
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bffd1eb4-da2f-426f-a6ba-4d5da9453164/note-to-active-forum-post.aspx
Fad
2009-12-16 13:27:18 UTC
I write a custom MFC Activex and using it with .net (visual studio 2010) I have the same issue:
'Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))'

I resolved the problem in this way:
- Use vs wizard to add method and event on Activex
- Import activex from .net with the design-time on form (not directly from code)

Now when I call my custom activex function all works well..

j.scott.lecki wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:25 AM
Fad wrote:

Fad
.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:26 AM
Fad wrote:

ActiveX
I write a custom MFC Activex and using it with .net (visual studio 2010) I have the same issue:
'Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))'

I resolved the problem in this way:
- Use vs wizard to add method and event on Activex
- Import activex from .net with the design-time on form (not directly from code)

Now when I call my custom activex function all works well..

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 on Virtual PC 2007
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/1350e66d-eef3-4bcc-ace0-a8278cba76ab/internet-explorer-8-beta.aspx
Fad
2009-12-16 13:26:54 UTC

j.scott.lecki wrote:

[...]

Fad wrote:

Fad
.

Build Dynamic SOAP Requests with ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0e5afb57-75b4-437f-86a4-ad0113ad75f7/build-dynamic-soap-reques.aspx