successfully registered dll not available in COM reference list
Lucy
2010-02-02 22:14:48 UTC
when i run regsvr32, it looks like a registered my dll successfully.
i get the message "DllRegisterServer in C:\...\<filename>.dll
succeeded." when i check my registry, the keys for this dll is
included. however, when i go to my project in visual studio 2008, the
dll is not listed in my available COM referemce list. any thoughts?
Jason Newell
2010-02-02 22:22:36 UTC
Assuming that you're trying to register a managed assembly, see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzat5yw6%28VS.80%29.aspx

Also note that you're probably going to want to use the /codebase switch.

It doesn't make much sense to me though that regsvr32 would have
(repotedly) worked on a managed assembly.

Jason Newell
www.jasonnewell.net
Wilson, Phil
2010-02-09 18:11:00 UTC
A reference that shows up in Visual Studio is nothing to do with class
registration. That list is a list of type libraries that are registered on
the system. In most (or many) cases registering the class will register a
type library too, (when the type library is embedded in the Dll) but
there's no requirement that a COM Dll uses a custom type library. If it's
your Win32 C++ COM Dll, then you'd need to go look at why it seems like it
doesn't have an embedded type library. However if you have a separate type
library tlb file, VS will let you browse to the tlb file in the Add
Reference dialog.
--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer